We recently finished watching the new Netflix original show Santa Clarita Diet and we are looking forward to the next season of Orange is the New Black, so this Blood Orange Margarita is the perfect drink to tie those two together!
Santa Clarita Diet is about two married real estate agents whose lives get turned upside down when the wife, played by Drew Barrymore, goes through some sort of odd transformation, resulting in her becoming a zombie that feeds on human flesh. No one else, except their daughter, knows about it, but they have to deal with finding her food while maintaining a somewhat normal life. The husband, Timothy Olyphant, has the best reactions and sense of humor and I find myself laughing just at him several times each episode.
And Orange is the New Black, well, you all know my love for OITNB. Rumor is that this new season will take place over the span of only 2 days! Can’t wait to see how it goes!
Back to the margarita!
In Santa Clarita Diet, she walks around drinking her “blood smoothie” and blood oranges give this margarita it’s deep blood-like appearance. But don’t let that deter you…it is so delicious! In fact, since this drink is not made with any margarita mix, it doesn’t have an overly sweet/sour taste that other margaritas can have.
- 3 ounces fresh Blood Orange Juice
- 3/4 ounce fresh Lime Juice
- 2 ounces Tequila
- 1 ounce Simple Syrup (or Agave Nectar)
How to make:
- Use a juicer to squeeze the juice from each blood orange.
- Combine all ingredients into an ice filled cocktail shaker and shake for 15 seconds.
- Rub the rim of a glass with an edge of a blood orange slice. Swirl the rim through a small pile of kosher or sea salt to salt the rim. Or if you prefer something sweet, we used sugar instead.
- Place a few cubes of ice into the salted glass. Strain the cocktail into the glass and enjoy.
The entire first season of Santa Clarita Diet is already available on Netflix. The new season of Orange is the New Black will premiere in June, but you can catch up on all past seasons now. 🙂