Benjamin Moore Aura Paint IKEA Upgrade

As a BzzAgent, I was recently invited to try Benjamin Moore Aura Interior Paint.

 

 

From Benjamin Moore/BzzAgent:

Aura® Waterborne Interior Paint with Color Lock® technology is, quite simply, the finest paint Benjamin Moore has ever made. No other paint rivals its performance, durability and vitality. Introduced in 2006, Aura® was the first product launched on the Gennex® colorant system, and it revolutionized the industry with its combination of high performance, low odor and low VOCs. Superior paint that is more eco-friendly? That’s a win-win within any home.

And we haven’t even touched upon the colors. Oh, the colors! Thanks to Benjamin Moore’s exclusive Color Lock® technology, Aura® paint delivers truer hues and richer colors and looks fresh for years. The line covers like no other — even the deepest Aura® shades never require more than two coats. And if that’s not enough, Aura® is available in every Benjamin Moore color, including the Color Stories® Palette. With over 3,600 colors to choose from, there’s almost no limit to what your roller can do.

 

I was immediately excited and accepted the campaign. We needed a swift kick in the butt to get on a project that we’ve been dreading…the dining room wall.

Ok, that doesn’t sound or look like a big deal, but that’s because you may not be able to see the true monster hiding underneath that crackling paint…

 

 

WALLPAPER! (Cue scary theme music)

That’s the upper corner of our dining room. It started out with just a couple of cracks in the paint, but it has slowly grown. When we moved in 3 years ago, the interior of the house had already been painted by the previous homeowner who basically did a “flip” on the house by revamping it a little in order to up the appeal factor. Well, it looks he attempted to peel back the wallpaper and gave up rather quickly.

 

 

He then must’ve just decided to paint over it and we are now left with a wall that is slowly peeling back more and more. Sneaky bastard.

When the house was inspected, the inspector said there might have been a leak in that corner at some point, but that it appears the leak has been fixed. Because of that, we were hesitant to fix the wall before getting the roof replaced and just dealt with it by not looking in that corner. Now that we are in talks to replace the roof (Holy EXPENSIVE Batman!), we thought now would be a good time to tackle the project. So I accepted my Aura paint Bzz Campaign with full intentions of getting on that ASAP.

Then the man of the house told me it wasn’t going to be a quick and easy task, so I figured we could do it over one of our weekends. However, with Bzz Campaigns, you only have a certain amount of time to report back on your project and before we knew it, all of our weekends were full with activities and we had no time to complete the project. Sad face.

I wasn’t about to give up, though. And besides, I was given a product to try…so I’m going to use it darn it! It’s also been a while since my last craft project so I decided to upgrade Trent’s IKEA easel!

 

 

We bought this during our IKEA shopping extravaganza for all of Trent’s nursery items. Seriously, $15 for this easel is an absolute steal. I frickin love IKEA and wish we had one in our town and didn’t have to drive almost 4 hours to the one in Orlando.

Most of Trent’s furniture is white, so I decided to paint the easel to match his other furniture using a small can of white Benjamin Moore Aura paint. Interior paint isn’t just for walls! And since I’m lazy, I was hoping that by using a higher quality paint and primer in one would mean I would only have to use one coat to complete the project.

 

 

I couldn’t find our large plastic sheet to put on the floor underneath the easel to prevent splatter on the carpet, so I just turned one of his rugs over instead. I was going to risk it and not put anything down, but good thing I didn’t since I ended up getting 3 drops of paint on the back of the rug. Oopsie.

I used Frog Tape to tape off around the wooden edges so the paint wouldn’t get on the chalkboard/whiteboard.

 

 

I also put a strip of Frog Tape under each of the legs to not get paint on the rug.

 

 

After one quick coat, I let it dry for a few hours while we went out. The paint went on smooth with great coverage and I didn’t have to go over the same spot repeatedly.

 

 

I pulled the tape off and TA-DA! It now matches the rest of the room!

 

 

I can’t wait to try this with an entire room. We’ve used Benjamin Moore paint before in Trent’s nursery and it was great (you can see it in the above photos – the color is Grey Horse). I was pregnant at the time, so the low VOC feature was perfect, along with the ease of application meant I could help paint without hurting my pregnant self.

As for the dining room, we have our paint ready for when we finally decide to tackle that hot mess and we will definitely share our experience here with you guys. I’m actually interested in finding out what kind of tacky wallpaper is hiding under there!

 

Disclaimer: I received this product for free as part of BzzAgent campaign in return for my honest, hype-free opinion. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any other way.

 

***

The Photographer’s Wife fans, be sure to:

Subscribe to our posts

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

 

You Might Also Like...

  • Marsha
    Nov 27, 2012 at 6:15 pm

    We sell the Benjamin Moore Aura paint and it is a great product-loved by all who use it. I really wanted to comment on what a cute and educational idea with the ABC’s.

    • Lynn
      Nov 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm

      Thank you! We had fun making them and hope he likes them and learns from them too!