As a mom that works outside of the home, it is so important for me to enjoy where I work…and I do! Think about it…those of us that work outside of the home are at our place of employment for at least 8 hours a day (for a full-time schedule). That’s a lot of time to be away from our families and home and our comfortable slippers! Sure, I know it’s “work” but it doesn’t have to be a miserable experience (and if it is, perhaps you should consider a change).
Employers that recognize that they need to cultivate their employees’ well-being create a healthy work environment and happy employees. Happy employees are more productive and typically stay with their employers longer…it’s a win-win for everyone.
Quality of Life, which refers to the general wellbeing of individuals, is a central and evolving issue in many environments, from the workplace, to schools, to hospitals, to life in general. Sodexo, a worldwide leader in Quality of Life Services, has identified 6 key dimensions that contribute to a person’s well-being.
When considering these 6 dimensions, I was able to think of ways my employer focuses on each one to enhance our work-life balance.
- Social Interaction – We have a yearly Employee Appreciation event, offering several opportunities for us to gather with our coworkers for fun and interaction. We also have plenty of meals to enjoy together throughout the year.
- Ease & Efficiency – The Blood Mobile comes to our building often for those that want to conveniently donate blood.
- Physical Environment – Our building and inside doors require the use of a badge, and we also have someone monitoring the doors at all times. Our building is kept clean and we are provided with the supplies we need to carry out our responsibilities.
- Personal Growth – We are encouraged to seek additional designations and are offered numerous training opportunities throughout the year.
- Recognition – We have a quarterly Employee Recognition ceremony where an Employee of the Quarter is named, as well as teamwork and leadership awards are distributed.
- Health & Well-Being – Once a year, we have an Health Fair, where we can get free back massages, get a flue shot, and have our blood pressure and cholesterol tested.
Those are just some ways that my employer helps improve my quality of life at work. I am so grateful to have found a place that makes it fun and interesting! What ways does your employer help improve your quality of life?
You can also work on creating the best environment for yourself to improve your quality of life at work. Perhaps you could pick one of the dimensions above to improve for yourself…here are some suggestions:
- Physical Environment: Keep your office clean; bring in a plant (and yes, there are indoor plants for you cubicle-dwellers!); ask for a new chair if yours in uncomfortable.
- Personal Growth: If you’ve been wanting to obtain additional training, ask your supervisor if your employer will provide it for you, or if you could at least study for a little bit at your desk.
- Health & Well-Being: In Florida, we are granted a 15-minute break for every 4 hours of work time. If you get something similar, use that break and go for a walk around your building, or go up and down the stairs a few times. Or take some time to get up and stretch and maybe go say hi to a coworker…which is also great for social interaction!
- Recognition: Aside from patting yourself on the back for a job well-done, if you have the opportunity, make someone else’s day by recognizing their hard work with a shout out at your next meeting. Happy coworkers also make for a happy work environment.
Join the Quality of Life Discussion: #QoL Sodexo’s Quality of Life Observer website for more inspiration: http://www.qualityoflifeobserver.com
This post is part of International Quality of Life BlogIt Day, sponsored by Sodexo. It was written by me; all opinions are my own and honest. Thanks for reading!